Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday Night Supper

Can you believe I'm on the toilet as I type this?  No its not what you think, my daughter is in the bathtub playing and this is the only time I have to sit down and update my blog so here goes...

Since Justin's Grandma Rose passed away in early 2009 we've been having his grandfather Nick, aka "Gramps" over for dinner every Wednesday night. Grandma Rose was not only the smile and heart of her Italian family, but the woman could cook so she left pretty big shoes to fill and I've worked hard to make her proud. Week after week we have Gramps over for dinner and he has never once complained except to tell me that I should have made more which I take as a huge compliment.  When planning my Wednesday meals I try to keep them simple and rustic with an equal amount of protein, carbs and vegetables. I'm not sure why I feel its necessary to have all three with every meal but when I don't make all three, my plate always looks somewhat naked.  Tonight's meal was a first for me and turned out great so I thought I'd share with you all.

Roasted Chicken with Veggies-

  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or bacon, cut into ribbons
  • Leaves from 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary (or dry rosemary)
  • 1 whole chicken, quartered (about 3 pounds)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • Veggies (Brussels sprouts, carrots,  potatoes, onions etc.) Whatever you prefer. 

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Put a roasting pan over medium heat on your stove (both front and back burners lit) and get it good and hot. Drizzle the pan with a 3 tbs. olive oil.  Add the prosciutto or bacon and rosemary and cook, stirring, until the meat is crisp and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Push to 1 side of the pan. Season the chicken on both sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper and add it to the pan, skin side down, in a single layer. Cook for about 5 minutes until the skin begins to set and crisp. Turn and cook 3 more minutes. Turn the chicken again (bone side down), throw in some veggie of your choice (I used Brussels sprouts)  stick the pan in the oven and roast until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 30 more minutes.
You can serve as is or make a sauce. If you chose to make a sauce follow these directions. Take the pan out of the oven. Remove the chicken and prosciutto/bacon from the pan and arrange on a platter to keep warm while you prepare the pan sauce. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon of the rendered chicken fat and return the pan to the stove top. Stir in the stock and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, scraping up the flavors stuck to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, until reduced to a syrup, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.Drizzle the pan sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.
I also roasted some sweet potato fries (Costco freezer section) on a baking sheet at the same time as the chicken and they were a nice compliment to the meal. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment