Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Traditions

Happy Thanksgiving!

When Justin and I began to date,  I not only gained a great man but I also gained a second family. At the time,  Justin's parents, Glenn & Willow lived in Santa Monica 5 blocks from the beach and it quickly became our tradition to spend every Thanksgiving with them.  Justin's mom is a phenomenal cook so when it comes to Thanksgiving we eat like royalty!  Some of my favorite memories are of Justin and I visiting his parents in southern California. It was a simple time in our life before everything revolved around bottles, blankies and bedtimes. And though I wouldn't  trade my life as a parent for anything, I"m so very thankful for the memories I have of our first few years of dating and our trips to Santa Monica.

Justin's family deep fries their turkeys and I admit, I wasn't real keen on the idea at first. I couldn't imagine eating a turkey that wasn't cooked in the traditional way but I had also grown tired of eating the same old oven baked bird every year.  Because of this I kept my mind open and am now proud to say that deep fried turkey blows oven baked turkey out of the water! When it comes out of the oil the outside is crisp and brown but the inside is filled with succulent juices that will run down your chin and end up on your best Thanksgiving outfit. Two years ago my in laws moved to San Francisco so we now spend this holiday in a city that runs neck and neck with the beauty of Santa Monica. As I type this message, the Bay Bridge is in the distance, the ocean is only blocks away and our turkey is bubbling outside. I wish I could take credit for this beautiful meal but Willow has once again outdone herself and she's done with ease and a smile on her face. I envy her ability to juggle the stress of this holiday year after year and am dedicating this post to her.  Not many women can feed a group like us while always having a smile on her face!  I must also pay tribute to Glenn, the best darn turkey fryer this side of the Mississippi.

Before I sign off I want to wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are all so fortunate to have a warm roof over our heads, family, friends and good food in our tummies. This holiday is Super Bowl of cooking and I'm looking forward to the big game!

The only contribution I made to this years meal is these delicious green beans. Enjoy!

Green Beans with Almonds
William Sanoma


Ingredients:

  • Coarse salt, to taste
  • 2 lb. slender green beans, trimmed
  • 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 4 shallots, thinly sliced
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:

Fill a large pot three-fourths full of lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside. (The beans can be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance, covered tightly and refrigerated until ready to use.)

In a large fry pan over medium heat, toast the almonds, stirring continuously, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

In the same pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté until translucent and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the beans. Sauté, stirring continuously, until heated through and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley and almonds. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.
Serves 8 to 10.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful Holiday memories and for posting this recipe. Happy Holidays to you and your family and enjoy that turkey. Sounds devine.

    ReplyDelete