Friday, November 5, 2010

Freezer Surprise

Well, tonight was a night that I like to call freezer surprise....

I combined frozen pees, onions, sweet turkey sausage, spices and some potato dumplings to make what appeared to be a kind of Shepard's pie. It was good but I don't think I'll make it again so instead of boring you with the recipe,  I'd like to share with you one of my all time favorite recipes. Nick and I begged my mom to make this for us all the time but it mostly became our "Birthday Dinner" and we still ask for it to this day!

"Mom's Beef Stroganoff".

1 Can cream of mushroom soup
1 Can french onion soup
Dry Brown gravy mix (found in the dry soup mix dept. of grocery store)
1 Beef Bullion cube
2 medium size steaks (I prefer Fillet but any type of steak works good)
Egg Noodles
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Extra Virgin olive Oil
Butter
Sour cream

Fill a pot with water and bring to boil. In the meantime put some flour in a shallow bowl and season with salt & pepper. Cut steak into bite size pieces and dredge in the flour. Shake off excess flour. Melt 1 tbs. butter and 1 tbs. olive oil in deep sided saute pan over medium-high heat. Put steak in the saute pan and brown on both sides for 2-3 minutes but do not cook the meat all the way through. When the meat is browned and still pink in the middle add the cream of mushroom and french onion soup, stir. Next add 1 beef bullion cube, fresh ground pepper, 1/2 package of brown gravy mix and simmer on low (stirring often) for 15-20 minutes or till steak is cooked through. When water boils add noodles and cook according to package directions. After the beef mixture has simmered for the 15-20 minutes add 1/2 cup sour cream, stir and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.  If the sauce is too thin add some flour and stir to thicken. If its too thick add water.  Once you get the sauce to your liking serve over egg noodles and sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Side note: When I have fresh mushrooms in the house I add those at the same time as the soup mixtures.

A healthy alternative: Use chicken breast instead of steak and whole wheat egg noodles instead of regular noodles to give this meal a lighter feel.

Bon Appetite!

1 comment: