Friday, November 5, 2010

My First Blog

Hey everyone,

Since I love to cook and often have friends asking me for recipes I thought I'd start this blog so that I can share with everyone my many creations.

Growing up, my mom made dinner every single night. We would sit as a family and my parents would talk while my brother and I hid our vegetable in our napkins. After dinner we would all run out of the kitchen while mom did the dishes and cleaned up. I never realized at the time how much work went into those nightly dinners. How she had to plan ahead, grocery shop and orchestrate a meal we would all enjoy night after night. Never once did I thank her for those dinners so I'm dedicating this blog to my mom....Thanks mom for giving me the love of food and cooking!

As a working mom and Type A control freak its hard for me to put into words the work that goes into making a healthy dinner for my family night after night. Now that my daughter Kate is eating "big girl" food I find it even harder because I can't be lazy anymore. I've officially lost the luxury of ordering pizza and Chinese for dinner because its my job to set a healthy example for my child and I'm happy she's given me a reason to get back in the kitchen. Some think I'm crazy but after a long day at work and fighting the busy freeways home my happy place is in my kitchen. Now its not a fancy kitchen by any means. I'm lucky enough to have a gas range that I LOVE but I have very little counter space and am usually tripping over either a dog, a husband or my child. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband to take the "kids" (dogs included) outside and for that hour of my life its about me and my creative side. Even if I'm following a recipe (which I usually am) its my form of artistic expression and its the one time of the day when I dont' have to be anything to anyone. I don't have to be mom or wife or employee or that jerk who cut you off on the freeway. Its just me, a glass of wine and my imagination.

So here we go...the beginning of what I hope will be a fun and inspiring blog.

I don't have plans for dinner tonight so it should be interesting to see what I can make out of frozen vegetables and sweet Italian sausage....I'll keep you all posted!

P.s..Thanks for the idea Isabel, this should be fun :)

Enjoy!
Jamie

6 comments:

  1. Ok, you brought a tear to my eye!!! What a wonderful daughter and friend you are, not only to dedicate the blog to your mom, but acknowledge and appreciate all that she did for you. I can't wait to follow along, and try your recipes. Thanks for sharing!!! xoxo

    ~sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie
    This is truly going to be a blast reading your blog from day to day
    I'm really looking forward to it and your creative ideas
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie
    As I sit here wiping the tears from my eyes, I am a bit overwhelmed. I always felt dinner was the only time we could all sit together and talk about our day and learn a few table manners. I always had a huge garden so eating healthy was just a by product of thatl. It seems, everything in our lives revolves around food so why not try and make it a happy and loving time. I must admit that wine did help make the prep seem much easier. Hope i wasn't slurring my words at dinner time. If ever you want to go threw all my recipes I will be happy to share..I am still collecting new recipes daily. Must say I don't cook as much as I use to...but I am so glad you appreciated it. It was my pleasure! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to start cooking all the dishes I would drool over when you would cook... with a glass of wine, or several, while you created!
    I love helping my friends take things to the next level! So keep making me proud, and leave Julia Child choking on your spice dust!! Love you Marmies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choking in her spice dust..LOL
    Love you Iza!

    ReplyDelete